top of page

Both Parents are responsible for providing for the financial need of their children regardless of Custody.

Each parent is equally responsible for providing for the financial needs of their child. However, the court cannot enforce this obligation until it makes an order for support. Therefore, when parents separate, a parent must ask the court to establish parentage (paternity) and also ask the court to make an order for child support.


Child support payments are usually made until children turn 18 or 19 if they are still in high school full-time, living at home, and cannot support themselves. 


Either parent can ask the judge to make a child support order as part of a divorce, legal separation, or annulment. If the parents are not married, either parent can file a Petition to Establish a Parental Relationship. Once a parental relationship is established, the court can address child custody and support issues.


Either parent can also request a domestic violence restraining order or A Petition for Custody and Support of Minor Children for parents who have signed a voluntary Declaration of Paternity, are married or registered domestic partners and do not want to get legally separated or divorced.

Child support agreements can be complicated, and attention to detail is necessary. Jame Chau can carefully handle concerns such as calculating child support, falling behind in child support payments, changing child support, ending child support, and medical support. At Law Office James Chau, we have the experience and the focus to help you with your child custody concerns. Please do not hesitate to schedule your 20-minute free consultation.​

The Law Office of James Chau, P.C., represents clients in San Jose, California, and all surrounding areas.

For more information and to schedule a personal consultation with the Law Offices of James Chau, P.C., don't hesitate to contact us online or call our San Jose, California office at (408) 899-8364.

More Practice Areas

bottom of page